Sunday, December 18, 2011

V Minus 14 Days

Hello, I'm Heather, and this is my Vegan Diary.

Corny introductions aside, I have, as of this day, decided to practice a Vegan lifestyle beginning January 1, 2012. I've got research and purging to do, and will need lots of support. I've decided to keep this blog as a daily motivator and autobiography and maybe someday it will serve an even better purpose.

In more recent years I have become more and more disgusted with the way we humans treat other animals on this planet, and more revulsed by partaking in the spoils of being higher on the food chain. I haven't done anything about it because I never thought I would have the determination and dedication needed to become Vegan. I read an article that made me feel differently, so I just decided to do it. The worst that can happen is I don't follow through and go back to eating meat and wearing leather. I won't be terribly disappointed if this happens, because all I can do is try my best. I'm approaching this like religion - it isn't for everyone. 

I've asked for support and help as I face this transition with only two weeks to prepare. So far here are the resources I've been given:

  • www.21daykickstart.org
  • Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) website with "Forks Over Knives" documentary
  • "The Complete Guide to Vegan Subsitutions" by Celine Steen & Joni Marie Newman
  • PETA's accidentally Vegan list

    I gladly welcome any more resources that will guide me. As for my first official step: I went through the numerous shoes in my closet and bagged all that have leather on them. Twelve pairs. And I need to research three more because the materials aren't listed on the shoes themselves. Next will be handbags and, as soon as I find a replacement, a belt.
  • 2 comments:

    veganelder said...

    I just now discovered your blog. If my count is accurate you are the 3rd oklahoma based blog to be associated with ethical veganism. Welcome and congratulations! And Thank You!!

    You might want to visit An Unrefined Vegan (http://anunrefinedvegan.com/) if you haven't already...she is a phenomenal cook and posts some excellent recipes.

    Wow, so good to have you on the side of all animals. :-)

    Heather Weingartner said...

    Glad I'm finally here :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...